Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Does It Hurt?


I thought that taking a week or so off of blogging about my hip surgery would help me focus on something, anything else. It seems that this blogging has caused me to focus on my surgery and recovery almost constantly. My last blog was all about pain, constant and unrelenting pain. Well I still have that pain, constant and unrelenting pain. I think it might even be better but I really don't know anymore. On that pain scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excruciating, I used to be floating around 3 or so. This past week I think I've been at the same level but because it's constant I'm not sure anymore. It's been over 3 weeks now since the surgery and I still think I'm at level 3 but I could actually be tolerating more pain. I may be so inured of it all that it's become normal and therefore tolerable. That's one of the definitions of level 3 pain, tolerable.

As I see it, my pain tolerance is going one of two ways. I am either getting used to the pain and so it's not registering as high as it really is or I could be so burned out that any little discomfort is painful. I may not even be in pain at all, just a bit sore and I'm registering it as pain level 3. Nah, no way, it hurts too much.

2 comments:

Retired Syd said...

Maybe it's time for a new dog--get your mind off your pain. What do you think about THAT idea?

bongo said...

Now that would be real pain!!!