Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Tripod Theory and Me


I just talked to a dear friend, Jim, on the phone. I've known him for years, pre first surgery in fact. Time henceforth will be measured this way for us: BCE and CE. (Before contortion era and during contortion era, for explanation see my blog on Raison D'etre) He called to see how I was recuperating, he being more close to the situation having had the full monty done, same side, just over 1 year ago. He had a while ago written a piece on a blog of his therapist friend. It was about spirituality and his own tripod theory, (http://theawareself.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/what%E2%80%99s-in-your-tri-pod-by-jim-kennedy/) Check it out, it's a short but potent read. My interpretation of what he wrote is that the foundation for his spiritual focus and stability is based on three "legs of a tripod." They are the acceptance of change, the feeling of gratitude, and the concept of living in the moment.

I thought of what he wrote as rather symbolic for my situation. Now that I'm no longer using crutches to get around (I'm keeping the emotional ones for now), I use a cane. Not the dapper, man about town, Astaire model with the ivory or gold figamajig at the top. No, this is the standard issue canes given for drivers of those Lark brand three wheelers zipping down the Depends aisle in the retirement village Safeways. The kind that are metal with adjustable lengths to adapt to your shrinking as you age. Yes, that kind. Anyway, I'm now a tripod. Each of these legs of my tripod have a specific function. The "metal" leg represents a temporary situation, to be gone when my health situation improves. Like the concept of living in the moment, it represents a moment in time-once used, it will be gone forever. I need it now but not forever. The other leg, my good one, is all about gratitude. At least I have one good hip that's not causing me grief either medically or financially. The last is the trouble maker. This puppy is all about change. 20 years ago I was running 5 miles a day. 17 years ago I couldn't physically walk after partial hip surgery. 15 years ago I could walk but not run after recovery. 10 years ago I could walk with no pain at all. Last winter I could barely walk now that bone instead of cartilage was supporting my metal hip. Last week I couldn't walk at all after the 2nd surgery. Today I could walk with a cane. I'm now a tripod.

Right now my tripods talking to me. The metal one is calling me to get up on all threes, the surgerized one is calling for more drugs and the good one is kicking my butt for waiting so long.

No comments: