Thursday, July 3, 2008

Raison D'etre


Well here I am, a blogger neophyte so bored and afraid of doing any chores that I've started to blog, post hip surgery. Perhaps some history is in order. But not too much. I had a partial hip surgery in 1991 post bicycle accident on the streets of my hometown, San Francisco. I'm sure it was with a tourist trying to beat me around a corner on Lake Street, a beautiful street with a dedicated bike lane-which I was using. Anyway, it was partial because I was deemed too young for a full hip replacement. I guess now I'm old enough to get a complete one and that's what I got, 3 days ago, June 30, 2008. It wasn't as bad as the first one (WARNING: SOME GORY DETAILS TO FOLLOW) where they basically cut off the ball at the top of my femur then hammer in a metal ball and stem piece down the shaft of the bone. Blood splattering across the room, splinters of bone flying every which way. Messy. All this while my right foot is resting next to my left ear. Sort of a mega yoga position. THIS time it was the same yoga position but no hammering just getting a cap placed where the metal ball has over lo these may years of walking, standing, bending, twisting, worn the old cartilage away to painful exposed raw bone. Hence the title "Hipster." I thought since it was my right hip in question, Righteous Hipster would be a great title but I certainly can't claim to be right even some of the time so being righteous would not only be false advertising but rather hypocritical. I should be saving that for the posts and not blowing it all on the title, don't you think?

Sooooo, 3 days post surgery, I'm at home and having talked to blogger friend Sydney, http://sydney821.vox.com/, whose been blogging about her retirement (I'm not retired so I'm tempted to change that blogging to bragging but she really doesn't brag about it, it's my internal green eyed monster controling what little brain cells that have recovered from general anesthesia, please ignore). She's showing me the ropes and, if I don't hang myself from them, it'll be my recovery journal. Not just from surgery either.
Onward.........

1 comment:

Retired Syd said...

Hey Bongo Hipster! Welcome to the blogosphere funny man. Don't fall in any holes on your property while you're recovering.

Retired Syd
http://retiredsyd.typepad.com